This curriculum is designed as the guide for a project facilitator. The activities and background information in this curriculum will help youth develop the requisite knowledge and skills associated with raising and showing beef cattle. Activities are youth centered and include opportunities for the application of knowledge and skills at three different levels of experience: beginner, intermediate, and advanced.
* bio-security risk assessment and mitigation strategies.
* budgeting decisions associated with raising and housing cattle.
* dietary needs of beef cattle at different life stages.
* elements of beef cattle conformation.
* pre-show preparation; showmanship; and judging.
* strategies for crossbreeding cattle.
* ethical decision making in caring for and showing swine.
* tip-to-tail health assessments.
For One Page Overview, click here.
Publication date: 2013
For more information, including a sample activity and ordering information, visit Exploring 4-H Beef Health and Husbandry